Holiday music is unique in that it’s the only genre of music that gets shelved for 11 months of the year. Maybe there’s someone who listens to “White Christmas” in July, but I haven’t met them. I’ve kicked around the idea of doing a Christmas album before, but never pulled the trigger.
Back in October, I looked at the calendar and saw that KRCB FM was set to have a mini-fundraiser in December. I help in the choosing of CD “thank you gifts” for our pledge drives, and I thought that a Holiday CD might be a cool thing. October is usually when Christmas albums get released, not planned, so if I was going to pull this off, I would have to move fast. I grabbed my rolodex and jotted down names of friends that are musicians. Because I had to work quickly, I composed a brief, two-sentence email: “Do you have a Christmas song to contribute to KRCB? I need it by Thanksgiving and I can’t pay you.”
Wouldn’t you know it: songs started coming at me! They were emailed, snail-mailed, dropped off and uploaded. Some were already recorded, some were newly recorded, some in real studios, some at home studios, one was recorded on a phone! In exactly 4 weeks from my email outreach, I had 19 songs. Traditional songs that honor the holidays, fun songs that poke fun at the holidays, instrumentals, and a song donated by my pal Mez Mezera by his sweet wife, the late Audrey Auld. The bulk of the artists are from Sonoma County, but some are not. What they all have in common is an appreciation for what we try to do here in public radio. The idea for the cover art (a radio transmitter with Christmas balls) came from our Program Director Sean Knight. The graphics were done by Greg Scherer who has worked on many Jackalope releases over the years.
Holiday Connections 2016 the CD, will be available beginning on Saturday December 10 at 2pm. Steve Delap and I will be hosting Our Roots Are Showing and beginning our (wait for it!) Holiday Connections Radio Fundraiser! December 10 thru December 17. You are invited to come to our studio in Rohnert Park, call us at (707) 584-2020, or go online at KRCB.ORG to donate. Holiday Connections 2016 the CD will be available for only $20. (Every dollar goes straight to KRCB.)
Here are the songs:
1) Dirty Cello : Merry Christmas Baby
2) Maurice Tani & Pam Brandon : Baby It’s Cold Outside
3) Wendy Dewitt & Kirk Harwood : Train Full of Joy
4) Audrey Auld : Santa Spend Xmas With Me
5) Doug Adamz : Christmas Candy
6) Jennifer Goudeau and Jan Martinelli : The Christmas Song
7) Nate Lopez : Carol of the Bells
8) Nell Robinson : Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem
9) The Sorentinos : Beatnik Christmas
10) Dave Monterey : Christmas Child
11) Terry Keady : Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella
12) Kathy Kallick Band : Snowflakes
13) Geoff Muldaur : At The Christmas Ball
14) Solid Air : Tiny Reindeer
15) Jaydub & Dino : On Christmas Morning
16) Mr. Music : Santa Claus Rocks
17) David Thom : The First Noel
18) Sara Warne : When Santa Claus Met Jesus
19) Doug Jayne : What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?